Four-jaw chucks have jaws that adjust one at a time. They are used to hold round, square or rectangular work. Since the jaws adjust independently, it is possible to achieve perfect centering of the part with proper adjustment. This process is more time consuming than using a 3-jaw chuck, but it offers the most accuracy. Sherline’s 3.1″ 4-jaw independent chuck is now available with a 22 x 1.5 mm thread for use on ER-16 spindles.
These chucks have four advantages over 3-jaw chucks.
- They can be used to hold irregularly shaped parts.
- They can be used to center parts with a great deal of accuracy.
- 4-jaw chucks can be used to deliberately hold a part off-center.
- They can clamp stock tighter.
Like the Sherline 3-jaw chucks, the 4-jaw chucks can be used to clamp either externally or internally. Although we recommend the 3-jaw chuck for standard lathe projects, the 4-jaw chuck is considered the accessory that could add the most versatility to your machine. A clamping groove allows the chuck to hold parts for milling.
NOTE: The chuck should not be used in applications where spindle speed exceeds 3000 RPM. If purchasing any of these chucks for use on a non-Sherline ER-16 spindle, confirm that the spindle nose thread is 22 x 1.5 mm before purchasing. The Sherline chuck has a collar that is machined flat at the back to seat against the face of the Sherline ER-16 spindle. This may not be compatible with some non-Sherline ER-16 collet adapters or industrial tool holders. Runout accuracy cannot be guaranteed unless used with a Sherline spindle.
- For those who have jobs where speed and ease of use are more important than maximum accuracy and want a chuck that is loose right from the start (No extra charge). Add the note “loose jaws” to the “comments/shipping instructions” box when checking out.
- Soft (unhardened) steel jaws are also available upon request (No extra charge). Add the note “soft jaws” to the “comments/shipping instructions” box when checking out.
Chuck Diameter 3.1" Jaw Capacity With jaws in normal position: 3/32" (2mm) - 1-1/2" (38mm) With jaws in reverse position: 3/32" (2mm) - 2-3/4" (70mm) Through Hole Diameter .687" (17mm) Thread Size ER-16 Chuck Body Material 12L14 Steel Chuck Jaws Material 12L14 Case Hardened Steel
- Additional Information